The immune system is a complex network of cells, tissues, and organs that protects your body from various infections and diseases; so, immune system boosters will help you enjoy good health. Some of the boosters are more effective than others; however, at least five natural immune system boosters should be used to stay healthy.
Healthy and Well-Balanced Diet
It is vital to observe a proper diet that is rich in antioxidants. In this way, you strengthen your immune system. A well-balanced diet should include the following:
* Citrus fruits and red bell peppers that are rich in vitamin C. They boost the production of white blood cells;
* Yogurt and other fermented foods contain “live and active cultures”, helping immune cells fight off dangerous bacteria;
* Foods rich in selenium, such as tuna and Brazil nuts;
* Garlic is one of the most honored plants in many cuisines around the world. Early civilizations and modern science recognize its power to fight off a number of viruses;
* Healthy fats – you will find them in fatty fish, nuts, olives, olive oil, and avocado.
* Green and black tea contain a number of flavonoids (types of antioxidants). These are rich sources of substances that are used by T-cells.
Some common hygiene habits work on the first line of your body defense, preventing dangerous microbes and bacteria from entering the body. You should:
* wash your hands regularly using warm water and antibacterial soap;
* wash the dishes using hot soapy water and keep your kitchen tidy;
* avoid sharing personal items such as toothbrushes, towels, clothes, or kitchen utensils that have been used by a sick person;
* cover your mouth when coughing, sneezing, and yawning;
* practice safe sex.
Good Quality Sleep
Poor quality sleep and insufficient amount of sleep will weaken your immune system and make you susceptible to many diseases and infections. Thanks to night sleep, your body “re-charges”. So, to protect yourself from sicknesses and keep your immune system in high work mode, you should get 7 – 8 hours of good quality sleep each night.
Your emotional health has strong impact on your physical health. Chronic stress and permanent anxiety typically have a strong and negative impact on your immune defense. To strengthen your immunity, you should keep stress and anxiety in check. Yoga, meditation and other stress-relieving practices can help reduce your stress levels and prevent depression. Laughter is another great immune system booster.
Regular Physical Activity
Working out or just walking in the fresh air will boost your immune system by activating the so called T-cells (these are vital white blood cells which defend body against germs). Regular physical activity also helps improve your sleep, facilitating the release of more endorphins known as great natural pain and stress fighters.